Monday, January 25, 2010

Soldier

"Dad, I'm coming home, but I've a favor to ask. I have a friend I'd like to bring home with me."

"Sure," they replied, "we'd love to meet him."

"There's something you should know," he continued, "he was hurt pretty badly in the war we had with our enemies.I'm now with him in the hospital. He stepped on a land mind and lost an arm and a leg. He has nowhere else to go, and I want him to come live with us."

"I'm sorry to hear that, son. Maybe we can help him find somewhere to live."

"No,Dad, I want him to live with us."

"Son," said the father, "you don't know what you're asking. Someone like that,a handicap would be a terrible burden on us. We have our own lives to live, and we can't let something like this interfere with our lives.I think you should just come home and forget about this guy. He'll find a way to live on his own.Please don't mention it again."

"Ohk.Dad.I'll let it go.I'll call you back tomorrow." he said and hung up.
He was surprised to see his friend behind him,he acted normal,hoping his friend didn't hear anything.

*************

The next day,He was there with his friend on the top of the hospital building as the doctor suggested fresh air would do some good to the thoughts.
"The view of the city from this part of the terrace seemed to be the most attention grabbing one" he told his friend,as his friend held him tight and they walked to the edge of the roof to get a better view.

As they reached the edge,he gave his friend a letter,he was longing to give him since the phone call, as his heart didn't allow his lips to slip the words in his mind.

*************

The very night,the parents celebrating their son's heroic fight, received a call.Father expecting his son to call,ran to pick up the phone.But' to his surprise it was from the police. Their son had died after falling from a hospital building, they were told. The police believed it was suicide.

The grief-stricken parents flew to the capital and were taken to the mortuary to identify the body of their son. They recognized him, but to their horror they also discovered something they didn't know, their son had only one arm and one leg.
They were given a letter,which the son gave it to his friend.
The letter said "Dad,I won't be a burden to our family"



inspired

2 comments: